Skip to main content

Topic: Homemaking Hacks (Read 1073 times) previous topic - next topic

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Homemaking Hacks
Reply #40
Jenny, exactly!!  Loofah!!  LOL!!  :rotfl:  Not my favorite, hehe!  :icon_lol:  My dad likes how absorbent they are when they're crunchy.  I used to throw my towels from the line into the dryer while I was still living at home with y parents.  A few minutes of tumbling with a dryer sheet softened those babies right back up.  Would defy the purpose of line drying, though, if you're trying to save energy.  :icon_razz: 

:loveyousparkles:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #41
I grew up hanging clothes on the line. We didn't have a dryer until I was in 11th grade. I love the smell of clothes that have been hung in the sunshine!  And when I have used cloth diapers I love the way they smell too. The dryer just doesn't work. I guess the only disadvantage of the line drying is the towels aren't so soft. A little vinegar or salt in the rinse does help to soften them a bit! That's what water softener is...salt. 😀

• Becca
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #42
I like the idea of your folding wagon for groceries, Madre.  That's a good one.  :happygreen: 

:lovingsmiley:

Is it bad if I don't know what a "folding wagon" is?  :icon_redface:
Daughter of the King of Kings  :crossinpurple:
Wife of an awesome husband :couple_inlove:
Mom of Jonethan and Gracie, ages 11 and 13 :lovesmile:

• Melinda
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #43
  • Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:48:05 PM by Melinda
Mom to 6 boys (15,12,9,7,3,1yr) and several late 1st trimester losses,

Reply #44
One recent homemaking hack that I did was purchase drying racks for my clothes! Now I can air dry clothes without worrying about weather and it's so much faster!

Air drying clothes full time saves about $30-35 per month on our electricity bill.
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #45
I like those wooden racks for items I don't want to dry, Ruth.  Then I would fluff them a bit after they were dry to get the wrinkles out. 

Another one:  I use vegetable oil to get sticky residue off from labels and price tags.

• Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:54:30 AM by Madre

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #46
I like the idea of your folding wagon for groceries, Madre.  That's a good one.  :happygreen: 

:lovingsmiley:

Is it bad if I don't know what a "folding wagon" is?  :icon_redface:
I can't imagine why it would be "bad".  LOL!  Check them out on Google.

• Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:42:18 PM by Madre

Reply #47
We tend to use a wagon to bring Aldi's groceries into the house. Aldi's doesn't give out bags and I usually forget my reusable ones at home, so I normally just load my groceries in the back of the van, unbagged.
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.23125
Script Memory Usage: 3.3MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.186971 / 0.006998
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 91 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 21: 0.00120s for 56,258 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]