Skip to main content

Topic: How are we all doing? (Read 193 times) previous topic - next topic

• ZoeS84
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
How are we all doing?
So I am still finding my feet what works best for us. I have just printed 19 pages of spelling words for her to do. I have just ordered some English books online for us as well to help her a little with that.

I have been given some helpful info in a home ed group that has said she can do her GCSE just a different route so that has helped loads.

Sineads counsellor has said that Sineads mood has changed a lot now she is no longer in school. So we just have to get into a grove now plan it a bit more and enjoy it.

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: How are we all doing?
Reply #1
It sounds like you guys are doing great already, Zoe girl ( @ZoeS84 )! Good job!  :highfive: 

We're all finished with homeschool (as of August of 2016), after nearly 20 years! Whew! :fainting:  So glad to be done.  :multi-stars:  It was so worth it. I never regretted it for one day, though not every day or every hour was easy.  :heart:

Keep us updated on how things are going with you guys, Zoe girl.  It's good to have encouragement along the way!  :huggingfriends:

:loveyousparkles:

Joy :welcomewave:
  • Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:02:39 PM by Joy

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
CONGRATULATIONS, @Joy ! That's huge! 

@ZoeS84 - for me I found it was super important to have a daily written plan of schoolwork. Otherwise it was too easy to let one day slide, then another and another, until it was really hard to catch up.  I have daily planners for all my kids with each subject written in it, what they are doing that day, and a place to check it off when they're done.
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Thanks, Jenny!!  :huggingfriends:  I had to edit my post to say we finished in 2016 rather than 2015.  Still trying to get used to it being 2017 already!!!  :whatwacko: 

:lovingsmiley:

• ZoeS84
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
We are still hit and miss but we have the education people coming out Friday to make sure we are on track. I have a planner on the door now just have to work out what to do when. So far spellings Monday and Fridays.. That's about how far I have got

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
@ZoeS84 , just to give you a quick idea, this is what my 7th grader does, she's 13- around Sinead's age if I remember right. Everyone does things differently, but I always found it helpful to see what others were doing.  Here's our schedule-

Daily: Math, Spelling, Language/Grammar

Three times per week: Literature, Writing, Map Skills/Geography

Twice a week: Science, History

For my 9th grader, who is 15 we do

Daily: Math, Grammer, Science, History, Spelling, Literature

He plans his own writing, so it is usually several days per week, as needed to complete the section within the year.

Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
That's a good looking schedule Jenny-kins!!   :happygreen:  Looks quite a bit like ours did.  One thing we started doing as the kids got a little older was to make Friday our 'skills day'.  We'd drop everything but writing/grammar and math for that day and they could work on a 'skills' subject, or subjects, of their choice, like foreign language, music, or anything to do with their future career choice... Scotty would usually work on programming jobs, the girls might take a job elderly-sitting, or they might work in the kitchen; that sort of thing.  Just some cool things you can do as kiddies get older and further along, especially as their schoolwork hours increase.  Leaves more time for in-depth things.  I loved that versatility!  :lovesmile:

:lovingsmiley:

• ZoeS84
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #7
Thats a great schedule I am having a slow day today as so many appointments and I have job search to do as well. But I am going to work on a schedule and I will post it here.

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Looking forward to it, Zoe girl! ( @ZoeS84 )  Keep us posted, my friend.  We're happy to be here for you while you figure things out for you and your darling girl.  :heart:

:pinkpenguin:

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.0725
Script Memory Usage: 6.43MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.098984 / 0.006998
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 86 (show)
Files included: 51 - 890KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 23: 0.00150s for 56,524 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]