Skip to main content

Topic: 4Health grain free canned cat food is on sale (Read 98 times) previous topic - next topic

4Health grain free canned cat food is on sale
It's currently $0.62 per can. That small discount adds up when you buy a lot.

I rainchecked over 140 cans at that price. That should feed my cats for a little while. :)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health-grain-free-turkey-giblet-dinner-cat-food-55-oz
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: 4Health grain free canned cat food is on sale
Reply #1
Wow!  That's a great deal, Ruthie!!!  Thanks for sharing the link.  :lovesmile:  :huggingfriends:

:loveyou:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #2
You're welcome Joy!

Do your kitties eat that cat food?

~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Actually, they don't, Ruthie! I'd consider that one if they ate canned food, though!  :OKOK: We just switched our cats over to a whole food diet about 2 months ago, so we're making their food for them. They're getting meat, veggies and eggs every day.  I'm glad I have my girls to do that for me.  :icon_razz: 

:lovingsmiley:

Reply #4
I've tried making my own food but found it cost prohibitive due to the cost of the supplement powder that was required to ensure balance (taurine, calcium, etc) and never felt confident with frankenprey methods that didn't need supplementation.

I would love to hear any methods for doing it inexpensively though! What recipe are you using? Are you doing a raw diet or is it cooked?

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Ruthie, I'm not doing any supplementing or going by a recipe. I just prayed and here we are.  I'm buying different kinds of meat and veggies, cooking them (raw is better, but I just can't... Ugh!), and adding egg and fish oil.  They love it, and because there are only two of them (strictly indoors), it's not expensive.  They aren't big eaters, and we feed them 3 times a day. 

We're alternating meats and adding in all kinds of veggies, all cooked together.  It's heated up for each meal with a little bit of egg so the egg ends up scrambled into the mixture. Then we're adding in some canned tuna and some fish oil.  That's it. 

Selah developed feline diabetes really badly in November.  She was so incredibly sick all of a sudden.  Honestly, it was so sad.  Her future wasn't looking long or bright, and also very expensive (which we just were not going to do), so I prayed and this is what the Lord gave me instantly for our kitties.  Within 24 hours, Selah's blood sugars were balancing and her horrible, horrible symptoms were rapidly dissipating.  By day three her sugars were perfectly balanced and her symptoms were totally gone. 

We think she's had diabetes since birth because she's had some health issues since we got her as a kitten.  We never knew what was causing them, but since changing her diet, every one of those symptoms have completely disappeared.  We'll continue doing this.  It's easy and not very expensive, and its working well for out kitties.  I feel like the Lord is showing us what they need and we're going by that.  I'd not advise anyone else to do exactly what we're doing because I believe it's tailored for our kitties' specific needs.   :lovesmile:

Interesting little back story.  Carissa is basically Selah's mommy.  She's the one who tends to her the most and has basically raised her since we got her.  She's also the one who's been the most concerned about Selah's health over the years.  Something was definitely metabolically wrong with her all along and it's aways been a bit disconcerting for us. 

Well, in November, Carissa came to me and said she was going to focus on really praying and seeking the Lord for wisdom about Selah's health.  Selah has always required lots of extra care and we weren't feeling like she was doing all that well. Carissa fasted for wisdom that day, and the very next day, Selah started getting sick.  It escalated rapidly and she was quickly and easily diagnosed with diabetes.  She was so sick, her prognosis was grim and the meds and testing were going to be super expensive, so we started seeking the Lord for wisdom in how to treat her naturally right around Christmas.  Quick wisdom from the Lord and wham, bam, boom, her sugars are perfectly and naturally balanced through diet and prayer.  This is just how the Lord led us.  And Carissa has just had a valuable lesson in motherhood (seeking the Lord for wisdom and seeing miracles happen!). :heartbeat:

:loveyou:

• Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:30:11 PM by Joy

Reply #6
That's great that her diabetes is going into remission! I've heard a lot about using low carb wet food diets to help diabetic cats.

The thing with taurine though is that it's destroyed by heat. That's why cooked meat diets are deficient in it. Here's an article explaining a bit more about taurine.

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/no-bull-taurine-is-a-must-for-kitty

You're a good kitty mama, Joy! :hug:

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
Thank you, Ruthie!!! :happyhug: :heart:

:iwuvu:

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.185
Script Memory Usage: 3.36MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.241963 / 0.014997
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 78 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 24: 0.01805s for 56,245 bytes (show)
Queries used: 21.
[Show Queries]