Skip to main content

Topic: No Shampoo (Read 130 times) previous topic - next topic

No Shampoo
I've been going without shampoo for awhile now. I didn't write down the date so I'm not really sure, but I'm guessing that I quit shampoo at least a couple of months ago.

Initially, I tried baking soda and apple cider vinegar, or just plain water rinses. I've settled on using only apple cider vinegar. Initially I just poured it on, but now I got a spray bottle and filled it and put it in the shower, so that it would be convenient and not waste as much.

The transition phase was rough. Initially my hair was very greasy and had a lot of dandruff. As time went on, my hair adjusted to not having the oils stripped out of it on a regular basis and quit overproducing oil. It's calmed down substantially now. My dandruff seems to be improving also.

My husband uses plain water and no products whatsoever on his head.

The natural type of shampoos are expensive, the cheaper ones have a lot of chemicals, and all shampoo strips natural oils repeatedly. I also had horrible dandruff when shampooing regularly.

Has anyone else tried cutting out shampoo? What regimen do you use?

~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (11), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Re: No Shampoo
Reply #1
I have not regularly used shampoo for 13 years.  For awhile I tried a non sulfate shampoo, but I couldn't stand the smell.  I wash my hair with a cheap conditioner like VO 5 and scrub my scalp well.   Then I rinse and follow up with a better conditioner and rinse after a few minutes.  I used to also use a 4 to 1 apple cider vinegar rinse and a honey/water rinse at times.

Since I stopped coloring my hair I do use a purple shampoo once a week. 

Reply #2
What about a mild soap for cleansing and coconut oil for conditioning?

Reply #3
Is that what you use, Celina?
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (11), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

Reply #4
I have some shampoo right now but yes. A simple natural bar soap or unscented Castile soap. You can add a few drops of essential oil to make it smell nice. . Any oil is nice. Olive, sweet almond, coconut. I really like the burt's bees apricot baby oil if I can get it. It smells so good! It only takes a little bit of oil.

Reply #5
There are so many ways out there!

I choose ACV mainly for cheapness and simplicity, but there are a lot of other good methods as well. I even tried using water only, but I like the ACV better than just water.

My husband and son can do fine with just water. I'm going to see if my girls want to try my ACV. If not, I could try a mild castile soap occasionally or something of that nature. My concern with coconut oil is the greasiness. My girls and I all have thin hair.

What's your hair type, Celina?

Reply #6
It's pretty fine as well. I just put a dab in my hair while it's still wet, say 1/2 tsp for all. My hair is to my waist. For little ones even less than that. And not every time you wash it. Maybe once per week.

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #7
ACV is also good for restoring the Ph balance.  The only thing about ACV and kids is, it does sting if it gets in your eyes so I would tell them to keep their peepers closed tightly.

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 5 21:22:16 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.6275
Script Memory Usage: 6.41MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.475927 / 0.034994
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 80 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 21: 0.00130s for 56,238 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]