Skip to main content

Topic: The struggling speller (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic

• LAlvis
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
The struggling speller
My third grader is really struggling in spelling. He's just not a natural speller, and it is so hard for him. Does anyone have any good ideas for supplemental activities and such to help with spelling? We use BJUP, which has a list of spelling words to learn each week, with worktext pages using and practicing those specific words. I'm told it's a really hard program. We've used SpellingCity.com a little, but not very consistently. He liked being able to practice his words and have practice tests, but I didn't feel like we got very good results from it. I should maybe try using it more, though. Any other ideas or resources?
Lynn
Happily married, mommy to three munchkins

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Re: The struggling speller
Reply #1
We used Words Their Way and it was fabulous! I dropped it once he got the hang of it but it did a great job of breaking it all down and I felt like it was flexible enough to use it how it worked best for us. We have used Spelling Power and he is flying right though it, spelling is actually comes to him pretty easy. :)

• Eva
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #2
We use All About Spelling and we love it! Just 10-15mins for a lesson and I'm seeing such improvement in my kids.i think my Abby struggles with dyslexia but this is really helping her a lot. Her spelling has come on leaps and bounds in the last year since starting AAS.
Eva~Texan mom to Abigail (10), Micah (9), Lydia (7), and Eden (4)

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
We use All About Spelling too! :) All of my kids struggle with spelling in "real life". They do great on their tests, but have a hard time in writing  :/ I think part of it is they are in a hurry and don't really stop and think.
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 26 06:52:09 UTC 2016 x86_64
Server Load: 0.0325
Script Memory Usage: 2.05MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.871259 / 0.283956
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 75 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 22: 0.00053s for 56,519 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]