Skip to main content

Topic: Clothing question  (Read 110 times) previous topic - next topic

Clothing question
How much clothing would you keep on hand for a two week supply for each child? I only wash every week-ten days but am wondering if I can downsize to make the clutter more manageable. 😁

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Clothing question
Reply #1
My kiddies always had quite a lot of clothing when they were growing up.  I made sure they were wearing everything or the items would be donated or put away for younger sibs.  Also, when they were younger, the kids almost exclusively had outfits that coordinated together, and they'd be hung in the closet that way, usually one hanger per outfit. That helped keep closets clean and organized and also helped avoid odd mismatching and weird outfits chosen by outside of the box dressers.  LOL!!

I have no idea how many outfits each child had, but if I were to decide on a minimum I'd like to have hanging in each child's closet, I'd maybe go with 10 outfits as our minimum.  I know we had more than that per child, and we could have gotten along with less, I'm sure. But I'd get tired of seeing the same clothing all the time.  Especially when clothes are passed down again and again to younger sibs.  I'd sometimes donate perfect clothing just because I couldn't bear to see them again on any child of mine.  LOL!! :sillygiggle: 

:lovesign:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #2
Well for me it's a matter of sanity and affordability. IfI have too many clothes we don't have space for them all but if not enough they complain of not having enough to wear. Just trying to figure out the happy medium. 😀

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #3
I would think that if you're only able to do laundry every 7 to 10 days, you would need a decent supply of clothes for everyone. 

Most of my married life I've had a washer and dryer.  Of course they went on the fritz at times so off to the laundromat I went or hung clothes in the basement  (including diapers) if it was winter.  But I tried to keep up because the task became overwhelming if I let it go with five kids.

That will be wonderful when you get the water hooked up, Celina. :)

• Melinda
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
How do you do laundry every 10 days? I need your secrets lol If I don't do it daily someone runs out of clothes or undies lol and they all have plenty of clothes, at least 10 pants 10 shorts and 20 shirts to go with those and my cousin shops expensive name brand clothes and he goes through his closet a lot and passes them to my boys, but I think they need at least an outfit for 10 days, 7 to last the week and 3 extra just because you always need extra haha
Mom to 6 boys (15,12,9,7,3,1yr) and several late 1st trimester losses,

Reply #5
Sometimes we do run out. I've read blogs from other mothers of large families where they kept each child with 3-4 outfits and that's it. I always wondered how they do that because it's never worked for me. My prayer is that my husband will be able to hook up the water soon so I can wash a load or two from home every day. I think this pregnancy is going to require me to rest more from now on (that's what my body is telling me anyway) and I want to avoid having to haul a bunch of big bags at the laundromat. He's got so many pressures right now that I don't want to complain and make his burdens heavier. I'm just praying that in the Lord's mercy it can get done sooner than later. Then this problem can be eliminated. One or two loads per day is no big deal.

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
I pray you get your water hooked up soon, too, Celina.  :prayer:  That'll help a lot! I can totally understand why you're wanting to simplify your life right now with a baby on the way.  :lovesmile:

I can't imagine only having 3 or 4 outfits per child longterm, even if I was doing laundry every day.  I'd get so tired of seeing the same clothing on them.  I've had a little experience with this in the short term, actually.  We have two homes and go between them a lot.  When the kids were littler, there were times when we'd go to the beach house only intending to stay through maybe a three day weekend, and then we'd end up staying a lot longer.  We might make due with the few outfits we brought for each kid for a while, but I'd eventually grow really tired of seeing them in the same clothing.  And we do have a washer and dryer there, so laundry isn't an issue.  Neither is distance from home because the houses are close to each other. 

Another time was when we were moving into this house and we had tons of remodel type stuff to do before we were truly settled.  We were staying at the beach house and going to the house-house every day to work on projects, then going back to the beach house to sleep. The kids only had 4 outfits each and everything else was packed away, so we couldn't just get at their clothing to switch things out.  All the remodel stuff we were doing took longer than we expected so the kids only had those 4 outfits apiece for about a month.  I remember wanting to burn those clothes by the end of that month!  LOL!  I never wanted to see them again, for real. hehe! :icon_lol:

I know having a lot of clothing isn't a necessity and that we're spoiled in this country. It's just so nice seeing fresh and different clothing often.  It's not truly important, compared to the big stuff in life, but having a little more is nice if it's possible.  :heart:

:pinkiloveyou:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #7
God is good. In about 3 weeks my husband says he'll hook up the water and get propane for hot water! Just have to hang in there a little longer. God is able!

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #8
That's great, Celina!  That will definitely make life easier.

Reply #9
That will be so great! I'm happy for you.  :D

~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
That's wonderful, Celina!!!
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 26 06:52:09 UTC 2016 x86_64
Server Load: 0.03375
Script Memory Usage: 2.17MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.098832 / 0.070989
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 101 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 24: 0.09712s for 56,530 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]