Skip to main content

Topic: Heartworm, flea, and tick meds for dogs. (Read 97 times) previous topic - next topic

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Heartworm, flea, and tick meds for dogs.
Do any of you with doggies have preferences in what work for heartworm, flea, and tick prevention? It's time for me to buy more for our dog. We've used Revolution in the past, but I haven't been impressed with its tick control. We live in the country and our doggie got a lot of tick while on it that stayed around a long time before falling off. :/  She's due for her parvo shot and I was planning to ask the vet, but thought I'd see if you have experience with a different brand.
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Heartworm, flea, and tick meds for dogs.
Reply #1
I'm bumping this thread in hopes that someone has some suggestions, Jenny.  I don't have a dog and our state isn't big for tics, other than in the woods.  I'm of no help, unfortunately.   :eyerollblue:

:loveyousparkles:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #2
Jen, did you get any ideas from your vet?
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

Reply #3
Chickens! If you let chickens free range around they'll eat the ticks. I've heard up to 12 an hour. As long as the dogs don't eat the chickens...

Here's a link for using rose geranium oil for dog tick repellent:

http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-natural-tick-repellent-that-really-works-essential-oils/

Hope that helps!

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.15375
Script Memory Usage: 3.22MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.927858 / 0.041993
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 73 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 22: 0.00140s for 56,521 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]