Skip to main content

Topic: Bedwetting (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic

Bedwetting
My son is 8 and wets the bed nearly every night.

I need to start pursuing some more active solutions because he will wet the bed, change his clothes, and then crawl into our bed since his is wet. I'm getting very poor sleep and am chronically tired with having an extra person in my bed.

Has anyone tried bedwetting alarms? Any other ideas?
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Re: Bedwetting
Reply #1
We are dealing with the same thing. Ds just turned 9 and really struggles. He wears the nighttime pull ups that are designed for older kids and that works well for him, he gets a good night's sleep and we don't have to contend with soaked sheets every day. He is having a really hard time with it, we often do cousin sleep overs and he always feels like he has to hide it and he's wanting to go to church camp this summer but won't go if it's still having trouble. :( We brought it up with his pediatrician, she says it's normal, especially for boys to have trouble at night. She did offer a prescription but I read about the side effects and possible long term effects and immediately declined. We have considered the alarm but I'm skeptical, not that it couldn't work I just think until that brain/bladder connection is developed or ready to develop its not going to work. It could be just the thing to get that connection jump-started if that makes sense? I'm still on the fence about trying it, it seems like the safest intervention I've found though.

I realized I probably didn't help you whatsoever. :/ sorry, guess I'm just saying were in that boat too.

Reply #2
My almost 7 year old son is the same way. He's determined to get out of the pull-ups though and has been doing pretty good maybe with just two accidents over the past couple weeks. For now the night time pull-ups might be the easiest option if he's willing to wear them. Have you tried limiting fluids near the end of the day? Or have him get up to go to the bathroom before you go to bed? Or putting a washable waterproof pad on the bed and then just have him switch one out if he goes so he can go back into his own bed? I think you can purchase those washable pads at Walmart. Just get 2 of them and have him wash it and his dirty pajamas! I hope you find a good solution.

Reply #3
We haven't used pull ups in a long time. My son doesn't want to wear them and my doctor recommends against them after a certain point.
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (10), Micah (8), and Abigail (5)

• jwright
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
I was going to suggest waterproof pads - hopefully save on having to wash up sheets if the waterproof pad will keep the moisture from leaking onto bed.  then he can just put another waterproof pad on the bed and go back to sleep in his own bed.  Sometimes in middle of night if my  kids get sick (stomach) I put towels on their bed that can be pulled off when messy and clean ones put on - saves having to wash or strip entire bed in middle of the night.  Might work if sheet does get wet - pull off the wet parts, put towel on bed and go back to sleep.

Janell

Reply #5
I have a waterproof plastic cover on his bed. Are the waterproof pads different?

Reply #6
Yes. These are the kind that are often put under older folks who have trouble with continence. They have disposable ones and washable ones. I'd say they are 3-4 foot square and are placed on top of the fitted sheet. Then if there's a mess, just remove the pad and replace with another one. You can probably find them at Walmart in the section where the adult underwear are. Or you can make your own if you know how to sew. I think it's around $10 per pad and I'm not sure how much less you could make them for if you bought towel material and some PUL (a waterproof fabric used for diaper covers and bibs and such). 😄

• jwright
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #7
Yes - the waterproof pads are different.  I haven't looked for them recently - baby dept. might have some (for use in crib but might be big enough for a bed).  I had one that was fuzzy on one side with vinyl on the bottom side. - didn't really like that style as vinyl backing would rip easily and had to be line dried (melt in dryer).  Do a google search for waterproof pads - just square or rectangle different sizes - to fit twin bed or just part of the bed.

Janell

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #8
We haven't used pull ups in a long time. My son doesn't want to wear them and my doctor recommends against them after a certain point.

I totally understand his not wanting to, my son doesn't like them either. If you don't mind me asking, what was your doctors reasoning?

ETA: interesting enough dh and I discussed this again tonight and decided to order an alarm. We'll see how it goes.
  • Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:15:46 AM by Jessy

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #9
What about maybe getting a couple of alarms for your kids' rooms?  Maybe limit fluids for a few hours before bed.  Make sure the kidlet has gone potty before bed, and again later if they are having a hard time falling asleep, so you know they've gone recently before they drift off.  You could have an alarm set to go off 3 hours later so they can get themselves up to use the bathroom, and another alarm to go off 3 hours later, or whatever.  That'd give them more potty practice in the middle of the night, training their subconscious to wake them up to go.  And then make sure they're up to go in the morning right away, too. 

If you did that, you could make sure they pay attention to when they're having accidents in the middle of the night.  You might see a pattern and know better when exactly they need to be getting up to use the bathroom.  You could adjust alarms accordingly if there's a pattern. 

Some alarm clocks can be set for more than one wakeup time, too.  My hubby's is that way. Anyway, just some thoughts.  Might need to get kiddies to bed a bit earlier, though, if you go this route, since their sleep will be more broken up.  And if your child isn't waking up for a noisy alarm, you could set the alarms for yourself and get them up.  If they're able to sleep through an alarm, it'd also be a little clue as to what's happening with them; super deep sleeper. 

My lifelong bestie wet the bed until she was maybe 18 years old.  She had to set 3 alarms at night, and she'd often sleep through at least one of them!  Sleepovers were an adventure with her.  hehe!  Anyway, training her brain to wake her up to go to the bathroom did work after a few months.  She'd stumble to the bathroom more asleep than awake and not even remember getting up to go.  But it did work!

Blessings, Sisters!!  :grouphug:

:lovingsmiley:

Joy :welcomewave:

Reply #10
Good idea Joy. I might have to do that with my little man. I often have to get up an go at night and could get him up too.

Reply #11
My mother-in-law lent me some waterproof pads. I put one on DS's bed. He STILL got in our bed. Just habit, I think, by now. I'm going to lock my bedroom door tonight so that he doesn't stumble in here by habit.

I wake up incredibly sore and feeling wrecked and exhausted. I made the kids lay down and have quiet time so that I could nap in the afternoon. I can only go so long with sleeping poorly until I start nearly walking into walls and my brain starts malfunctioning.

Jessy, I think that the doctor's reasoning is that pull ups delay the nighttime dryness process by lessening the incentive to get up, or something like that.

Reply #12
I feel your pain Ruthie. Hugs!

• LAlvis
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #13
We deal with this, too, Ruth. My mother-in-law warned me early in the potty training process that genetically my kids might have a hard time--several of her kids were bad bedwetters because they simply sleep so deeply that even their bladders relaxed completely. My son is now 9 and finally getting a little better. He just told me this week that he is actually starting to wake up when he  needs to go to the bathroom during the night.

We have done the restricted fluids, the potty right before bed, the middle-of-the-night waking him....nothing has ever had long-term success except growing up and out of this stage.  And we're not completely out of it, but I think we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Maybe....

One thing we have done that maybe you could try--keep a sleeping bag near his bed for him to crawl into if he does wet the bed. It sounds like it might take some time to break the habit of him crawling into bed with you, but if you patiently and without shaming reinforce that that is his "cozy place" if his bed is wet, it might help you all get a better night's sleep.  Just a thought!

((hugs))  It is so hard when our sleep is constantly interrupted! My two-year-old went through a stage over the last couple months of waking me during the night, "just because." It was exhausting and frustrating, but I think we've mostly trained her back out of the habit.
Lynn
Happily married, mommy to three munchkins

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 26 06:52:09 UTC 2016 x86_64
Server Load: 0.01125
Script Memory Usage: 2.21MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.504923 / 0.039993
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 106 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 21: 0.00247s for 56,241 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]