Skip to main content

Topic: PTO (Read 96 times) previous topic - next topic

PTO
So when I enrolled dd into school the principal suggested I join the PTO. Now that school started, dd has brought home papers to join but what I thought PTO was and what the form is all about is not the same thing. I thought PTO was a group of teachers and parents that worked together to help solve issues and help with communication that come up with students and teachers. This PTO forms are all about volunteering and doing things that I always thought that was handled by the school. (The grade school that I went to did not have any parent involvement - there was no PTO, I remember a book fair but none of the other things) Things like the book fair, box tops, secret Santa sales, popcorn sales, fundraisers.......

So.....
What is the PTO? What does it do? and Why did does it exist?
What kind of commitment does it take?

Meetings are held on a night that I can not go to. I work M-Th and if I want to on F. A friend at church is involved but she will be leaving after this year and she does not go to the meetings either. The form is just name and number and what do you want to help with, it is not any kind of application or back ground check form. Also no explanation to what the programs are about or the level of commitment each project takes. (or if it is something I can do from home as I get time vs something I have to clock in for) ugh.

Yes I did email the president of the PTO but she only told me to fill out the form instead of answering my questions. :(
Kay
    Bride to DH since May 16, 1998
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Two in Heaven Thanksgiving 2014 & Summer 2017
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014
    Sold my first cake in 2017
    Member Since November 30, 2012

• Melinda
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Re: PTO
Reply #1
At our school they usually have a meeting you can go to that explains everything about pto, but yes it's working with parents and teachers for all kinds of things, secret santa, class parties, to fundraisers, to basically everything extra you see at the school is done by the pto, special guests coming in to perform in front of the school like a story reader is set up by the pto, our pto has raised money for bigger and better playground equipment, smart boards in classrooms, etc, book fair is pto, field day is pto, the better the pto the better really the school tends to be, we have 3 elementaries in our district, ours has the best pto and it shows on the other elementary because they don't have as much stuff offered or going on because not many will do pto in that school zone area(idk why busy? It is lower income area also?) I have never signed up because after the meeting I went too I figured I would be no help because I always have a little one attached to my hip lol
  • Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:27:30 PM by Melinda
Mom to 6 boys (15,12,9,7,3,1yr) and several late 1st trimester losses,

Reply #2
Thank you, that gives me a better grasp on what it does.
I am still unsure if I should add this onto my plate. On one hand, I want to be involved with dd school but I kinda feel like this may be too involved. I am one to own what I do not just do as I am told, thus taking on more than I can handle.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #3
With five kids and heavy church involvement, I did not join the PTO when my kids were in school.  However, I went to every Open House, Back to School Night, concert, conference, many games, etc.  You have to choose your boundaries and don't feel like you need to be pressured.

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
Around here the PTO is exactly as Melinda described. I'm obviously not involved in one because we homeschool, ha, but lots of friends and family are involved in PTO's and they all commit at whatever level they're able. Some actually organize and put together school assemblies, some simply work with teachers to cut things out to prepare for a craft or project for a class. Some volunteer time running booths at school carnivals (a popular fundraiser around here). They're encouraged to help at whatever level they can commit to. I'd guess the one at your daughters school is the same. I'd be careful to not over extend yourself and not feel guilty about what you can or can't do. I'm sure if I were in those shoes I'd be like Madre, attending every function possible to show support and be involved. :)

Reply #5
I am an introvert and if I am not forced or feel obligated to go, then I may never go because that is what is comfortable.
I was told by one mom that I can go and have lunch with my dd and dd likes that idea. However, I feel overwhelmed by the idea and want to back out on going. I told her the school has to "check me out to make sure I am a good person before I can go" aka do a background check. However, I am also worried that she will not want me to leave if I go.

Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #6
Maybe you can have lunch with her after she has become a bit more used to school.  And even if she doesn't want you to leave, you can assure her that you will see her in a few more hours and maybe suggest that you can do something fun together after school.

Reply #7
Maybe you can have lunch with her after she has become a bit more used to school.  And even if she doesn't want you to leave, you can assure her that you will see her in a few more hours and maybe suggest that you can do something fun together after school.

I think I might go in October. I called the school and I just need to sign in at the office to join her for lunch.
DD admitted last week to DH, that the reason why she is so cross with us after school is that she misses us and is upset we can not go to school with her. It is most likely the same reason I can not get her to get ready in the morning. Ugh. I miss her too.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 5 21:22:16 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.7925
Script Memory Usage: 6.44MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.58791 / 0.038994
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 84 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 21: 0.00218s for 56,238 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]