Skip to main content

Topic: Stress Test and VBAC (Read 374 times) previous topic - next topic

Stress Test and VBAC
Stress Test - Because of my age, I am being sent to a fetal medicine doctor to get a monthly ultrasound. This week the doctor on staff told me that I would have to do Stress Test 2x a week starting at 35 weeks. Going once a week for me would be feasible but not 2x.
I have been trying to research stress test but I am finding conflicting infomation. I had one stress test when I was pregnant with dd but I do not remember much and do not remember being there very long.
Has anyone had to do a stress test? How often did you have to have one? How important are they? Did you get the option to opt out?

VBAC - Because of the up and down cut I received with dd, I was told I could not have a VBAC. This doctor seems to think that I could still have a VBAC because my internal, uterus cut was done side to side. I personally would prefer not to have another C-section, I was only excepting it because I was told I had no option. I had also figured, while I was cut open I would also have my tube tied. But if she is right and I can have a VBAC, then I would have to go back later for a tube tie or get DH to agree to a vasectomy instead.
The doctor says she is going to look into it and let me know if she thinks it is possible.

Kay
    Bride to DH since May 16, 1998
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Two in Heaven Thanksgiving 2014 & Summer 2017
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014
    Sold my first cake in 2017
    Member Since November 30, 2012

Re: Stress Test and VBAC
Reply #1
You're correct that it's the incision on the uterus that's important, rather than the external one. VBAC could definitely still be an option for you.

Praying for wisdom with your decisions!
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (11), Micah (9), and Abigail (6)

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
I don't know about your options for opting out of the stress test. It's just a half hour monitoring of the fetal heartbeat via an external monitor. I had several with my last because her heartrate wasn't fluctuating like they like to see. I was induced with her and she ended up having the cord around her neck several times.  I would have them done if there is any concern, better safe than sorry.
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

Reply #3
I was supposed to be tested twice weekly my last pregnancy also. I only went once per week. It was all I could do to get there then. I'm not sure how much it really helps. I think that's controversial. I was on insulin so they wanted to check baby often. I would say that as long as there's no sign of trouble you would be fine to go once per week. You have a choice. They can't force you to go.

Prayers for a safe and healthy delivery, whether VBAC or c-section.

• Melinda
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
I don't know anything about vbac, but stress test is just like they monitor when your in labor, they put 2 thingy lol on your belly, one is for heart rate and the other is for contractions, they monitor about 30 mins and that's it, it's non invasive, I had to do it weekly because of my age but end up being a good thing because baby heart rate wasn't doing good, end up being induced at 37wks because I got a bpp ultrasound to check if baby was in distress which he wasn't but showed my fluid levels dropping too fast (was check no leakage) anyway long story iv fluid wouldn't bring it up and it dropped too low
Been married for 17 years, I am a sahm to 7 boys (16,13,10,8,4,2yr and 6mos) and several late 1st trimester losses,

Reply #5
@alwaysgreener , how are you doing now? 😀

Reply #6
@alwaysgreener , how are you doing now? 😀
Currently, the baby is moving, some nights he keeps me up with all the moving he does. I swear he is doing summersaults. I went from having hiccups every day to be very gassy.
I got a follow up from my doctor, she said she was unable to view my records from my dd birth, so she can not say for sure that a vbac is possible or not. She passing it off to my OB, which is not the OB that I had when dd was born, so now I am not sure that I will find out.
I will not know more about stress test until I see the OB on the 6th.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

Reply #7
When are you due?

Reply #8
When are you due?
May 22 is the scheduled c section.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

Reply #9
Ok. Well blessings to you and I hope you have a healthy birth and a good recovery. I will be praying for you.

Reply #10
Update: I got no answers from either Doctor office. My OB said she saw the note and would read the delivery notes from my dd birth. The MFM made it sound like I could choose VBAC but he said I had a 20% chance of actually having one and not having an emergency C-Section.  So the MFM doctor is leaving up to me on what to do.

As for the NST - My OB says that I am to start the NST once a week at 32 weeks, according to the notes from the other doctor. I let her know that I was told twice a week at 35 weeks. The MFM (not the same one as last time) said that it was discretionary and that I could do what I want.  DH and I talked about it and we agreed to once a week starting at between 33 and 34 weeks (I am at 32 and a half now)

Then the MFM doctor brought up my GD test, which I passed by 3 points. He wants me to take the 3-hour test because he feels due to age and family history that we should base the results on a lower scale that would make me fail by 7 points.  UGH, this happens with my dd, I passed by a few points but my OB and the MFM doctor pushed me to take the 3-hour test which I passed. I do not want to go and do this again. Last time my DH pushed me to do it, this time he has not said anything.

Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

Reply #11
I feel you on that 3 hour test. I want to avoid it too. Maybe you could suggest monitoring your BG from one appt to the next and if your numbers are fine to skip it? I was on insulin the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy and I'm doing everything I possibly can to avoid it again this time. Hope all works out for you.

Reply #12
The MFM doctor has left the 3-hour test up to me and unless DH wants me to do it, I am not.
With my dd, my mom gave me a tester and strips and I tested every morning. When I told the MFM doctor this, she disregarded my attempt to watch my blood sugar level and still insisted on me taking the 3 hour. She lectured me on the importance of knowing the results.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

Reply #13
Sigh. I'm glad you don't have to. Hang in there. You're almost done.

Reply #14
I did my first NST on Friday, We passed. I am scheduled to do one every Friday until I deliver.

I also got an answer on the VBAC. I was told as long as I dilate or go into labor on or before the day of my scheduled C section, they will let me try for a VBAC,

30 days left to go, and we do not have a name or even a short list of names. 

We are also unsure if we should have him circumcised. I do not really have a strong opinion other than if God put into law for us to do this than he must have had a good reason besides what is written in the bible because he could have asked men to do hundreds of different things to show their commitment but he choose this way for a reason. Now DH was all for it when we were expecting DD but now he says no and his reason is the pain but no other. When I explained about the different ways that it can be done, he said that he would reconsider if I find out more about the other ways.
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

Reply #15
I'm glad that you're figuring things out!

We decided not to have our son circumcised. He's 9 years old now and we've never regretted our choice. I have two girls as well and the only one of my children to ever get a UTI was one of the girls.

Care is super easy for an intact boy, just wash and bathe normally and never try to retract it to clean and never let anyone else do it either.

My DH was circumcised as a baby, but being different from DS has never been an issue. We just explained that when DH was born, the doctor told grandma it was necessary, but we researched and found out that it wasn't.
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (11), Micah (9), and Abigail (6)

Reply #16
None of my three boys has been circumcised either.

Reply #17
@alwaysgreener how are you now? You're getting close!

Reply #18
@alwaysgreener how are you now? You're getting close!

Reply #19
11 days to go.................. I am tired and anxious. I have my bags packed and the baby's too. Working on packing my dd as she will be staying with my parents while I am in the hospital.

We do not have a name chosen, we do not seem to agree on one. I leaning toward Hezekiah Martin. DH said he would think about it. He wants his Grandpa last name as the middle name.

Saturday is my dd donut bday party with her grandparents (she had a friend party earlier and was upset that her grandparents did not attend, so we have invited sets over.) Praying the in-laws will show. <--

Sunday is mothers day. Monday is dd bday and I will be closed for the day. I am going to spoil her by taking her to school, coming to lunch and picking her up. Thinking about grabbing a ballon from the dollar store before I pick her up. Wednesday will be our 20th anniversary and we will be having lunch together then shop for a baby book. I suggested that we try to induce labor and DH was shocked at my suggestion. Thursday will be the last day I will have my dc opened. Friday will be my last NST and then Monday I will have to do the hospital prelabs. Tuesday I will be heading to the hospital for a c section unless I go into labor before then I will be able to try for a VBAC, which I would like to at least try to deliver naturally. I can't wait to hold my new little one. 
Kay
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.23.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 13 22:44:18 UTC 2018 x86_64
Server Load: 0.20125
Script Memory Usage: 2.14MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.147977 / 0.026995
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 128 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 22: 0.00299s for 56,593 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]