Skip to main content

Topic: VCUG test (Read 60 times) previous topic - next topic

VCUG test
Has anyone's child had a VCUG test (tests for reflux of the kidney) and have it come back normal but there is still an issue with drainage from the kidney.  My 6 year old had, starting in November, a uti which never cleared up on the oral antibiotics then developed a kidney infection (had 12 days of IV antibiotics) then it came back and he had an acute kidney infection resulting in a nuphronia ( 1 step away from a renal abscess).  He then did 21 days of IV antibiotics.  He had several renal ultrasounds, lots of bloodwork and a VCUG test.  Was released in mid January.  Top pedatyrician from our local hospital said she was sure he had a drainage issue with his kidney, but urologist from the childrens hospital just say it was all from a bad infection. 

He has been having pain in his side, lower area same side as the affected kidney for almost 4 weeks now.  he has had several urine tests done and no infection is showing.  He is scheduled for another renal ultrasound on April 17th.  They will be checking for any scar tissue and damage to his kidney. 

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: VCUG test
Reply #1
Which side is the pain on?
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

Reply #2
It is his right side.  His appendix has already been ruled out many times since this whole thing started.

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Yeah, we went through that with dd a few months  back to rule out chronic appendicitis. I'm not familiar with the VCUG test, but I sure hope you can get some amswers. :( Praying for you and big hugs!
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

• Melinda
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #4
The poor baby :( praying for wisdom and understanding to the drs involved to know what's causing the pain and know how to fix this once and for all,
Mom to 7 boys (16,13,10,8,4,2yr and 6wks) and several late 1st trimester losses,

Reply #5
Sounds tough. Hugs. Hope he feels better soon.

Reply #6
a VCUG test is when they insert a catheter and then fill up the bladder with radioactive fluid.  then with a machine they can tell whether or not fluid is emptying the bladder the correct way and not going from the bladder back into the kidney. 

He is still having pain on the 1 side and yesterday said he had pain on the left side.  he says his back is hurting on both sides.  We have urine dipstick test strips here and nothing is showing up on them.  He is off to the pediatricians tomorrow and has an ultrasound at Children's hospital next Tuesday

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
I'll be praying for your appointments. I've heard of that test before, just not by name. :)

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #8
Poor kiddo has been through the wringer. :(  Praying you can get some answers and ultimately healing!

Reply #9
Me too!

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 4 17:31:22 UTC 2018 x86_64
Server Load: 0.06625
Script Memory Usage: 6.47MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.202969 / 0.018997
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 93 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 22: 0.00137s for 56,584 bytes (show)
Queries used: 21.
[Show Queries]