Skip to main content

Topic: What age did you start teaching your children? (Read 51 times) previous topic - next topic

What age did you start teaching your children?
My oldest is almost 2 and I was actually thinking about starting to teach her now. is this crazy? i dont want to burn her out too soon, but i would love to be able to give her a head start with learning, i want her to love and enjoy learning. I am subscribed to a woman on YouTube her name is Jady A. and she started teaching her kids before age 2 by using flash cards. she only took about 10 mins every day and started by reading her child a book, then she would sing a song, then do the flash cards... but i was amazed at how well the 2 year can speak and READ. At what age do you think is appropriate to begin homeschooling?
Cast your eyes upon Jesus!

Re: What age did you start teaching your children?
Reply #1
I dont think theres a too soon... kids love learning! As long as they are having fun they will think its a game. My son isnt even 2 yet and it amazes me how much they pick up on.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Cor 5:17

• Jessy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #2
I don't think there's a too soon. We start informally as soon as they show interest but nothing formal or regularly scheduled until 3 or 4, that's if they are interested and we make it fun fun fun. I think it's important to remember how much kids learn through play!

Reply #3
Little ones do well with lots of playtime and lots of reading out loud with Mama. That sets the stage for a lifetime love of learning and books.

I read to my kids a lot when they were little. We do formal schooling at around 5-6, depending on the child.  :D
~Ruth, wife to Tim since 11/6/05 and WAHM to Hannah (11), Micah (9), and Abigail (6)

Reply #4
"Play is the work of childhood" - Fred Rogers

You have been teaching your child since birth. :)

What you described about the YouTube channel, sounds like "circle time". Which is a structured time during preschool and daycare where required (by the state) teaching activities occur. Most parents already do these activities through out the day during play.

I never did "circle time" with my dd (until I opened my daycare) but I would do circle time randomly through out the day, even when we were not home. (Yes I was that lady at the store that was singing the abc of key to my child as I shopped)

Kay
    Bride to DH since May 16, 1998
    Daughter May 14, 2012
    Two in Heaven Thanksgiving 2014 & Summer 2017
    Foster Parent 2010-2014
    Day Care Provider 2014
    Sold my first cake in 2017
    Member Since November 30, 2012

• jen1981
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Mine learned from the time they were born. Informally, just playing, reading, singing, talking until they were 5 and we started kindergarten. I never did any workbooks or curriculum type things until they started K., but we went to the library a lot to get books, talked about letters and sounds, numbers, etc. I always wanted them to learn through playing and to save more formal schooling until they had to start.
Married to Andrew since Jan.2001, mom to Keith~Nov. 2001, Elayne~Dec. 2003, Eleanne~May 2006, Elysha~2009

Reply #6
I wouldn't push to start her too soon on reading. This can strain their eyes and predispose them to nearsightedness and needing glasses. However learning can start anytime. You can count silverware while doing dishes, talk about colors while folding laundry...in other words incorporate learning concepts in every day life. Some of my children were ready to start reading at five. And others weren't until 7 or 8. There is much to teach besides school subjects. Nature can be done outside. Plant a little garden and let them watch the seeds grow. Go bird watching. Identify trees... hands on as much as possible. Reading will come in time. We don't have to push the babies too soon. 😀However, they loveto be read to and the library is a good source of books on many different subjects.
  • Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:25:09 AM by Happyblessedmama

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.23.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 13 22:44:18 UTC 2018 x86_64
Server Load: 0.16375
Script Memory Usage: 2.09MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.139978 / 0.024996
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 99 (show)
Files included: 51 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 43: 0.02556s for 60,779 bytes (show)
Queries used: 22.
[Show Queries]