Skip to main content

Topic: Quotes for the Journey (Read 8948 times) previous topic - next topic

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Re: Quotes for the Journey
Reply #260
"It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind."

~ C. S. Lewis

Reply #261
". Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the LORD will be with you. " 2Chronicles 17:15

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

These are some of my favorites to get me through the day!😀🍒🌼🌷

• Joy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #262
I love all of those and was encouraged reading them, Celina! :hug: The top two especially!  Perfect timing for me!  :lovesmile:

:lovingsmiley:

Joy :welcomewave:

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #263
"Build your nest upon no tree here; for you see God has sold the forest to death."

"Set not your heart upon the world, since God hath not made it your portion."

~ Samuel Rutherford

• Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:14:15 PM by Madre

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #264
"You can deal with an enormous amount of success as well as an enormous amount of failure without losing your identity, because your identity is that you are the beloved. Long before your father and mother, your brothers and sisters, your teachers, your church, or any people touched you in a loving as well as in a wounding way-long before you were rejected by some person or praised by somebody else-that voice has been there always. 'I have loved you with an everlasting love.' That love is there before you were born and will be there after you die."

~ Henri Nouwen

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #265
"The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail."

~ Louis L'Amour

Reply #266
"Self-preoccupation, self-broodings, self-interest, self-love--these are the reasons why you go jarring against your fellows. Turn your eyes off yourself, look up, and out! There are men, your brothers, and women, your sisters; they have needs that you can aid. Listen for their confidences; keep your heart wide open to their calls, and your hands alert for their service. Learn to give, and not to take; to drown your own hungry wants in the happiness of lending yourself to fulfil the interests of those nearest or dearest. Look up and out, from this narrow, cabined self of yours, and you will jar no longer; you will fret no more, you will provoke no more; but you will, to your own glad surprise, find the secret of 'the meekness and the gentleness of Jesus' and the fruits of the Spirit will all bud and blossom from out of your life."

~ Henry Scott Holland

Amen

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #267
"God is too good to be unkind and He is too wise to be mistaken. And when we cannot trace His hand, we must trust His heart."

~ Mr. Spurgeon

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #268
"The surest method of arriving at a knowledge of God's eternal purposes about us is to be found in the right use of the present moment. God's will does not come to us in the whole, but in fragments, and generally in small fragments. It is our business to piece it together, and to live it into one orderly vocation."

~ Frederick W. Faber

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #269
I've posted this one before, but it's still good to hear  :heart: :

"God's definition of a hypocrite: Pretending to be what you are not.
 Satan's definition of a hypocrite: Acting contrary to how you feel."

~ Bill Gillham

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #270
"This is the foundation of all sin: the lie that God is untrustworthy, the lie that God is not altogether loving and that he doesn't have our best interests in mind."

~ Gregory Boyd

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #271
"Sometimes when we read the words of those who have been more than conquerors, we feel almost despondent. I feel that I shall never be like that. But they won through step by step, by little bits of wills, little denials of self, little inward victories, by faithfulness in very little things. They became what they are. No one sees these little hidden steps. They only see the accomplishment, but even so, those small steps were taken. There is no sudden triumph, no spiritual maturity. That is the work of the moment."

~ Amy Carmichael

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #272
"Faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse."

~ Philip Yancey

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

~ Corrie Ten Boom

• LAlvis
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #273
"Sometimes when we read the words of those who have been more than conquerors, we feel almost despondent. I feel that I shall never be like that. But they won through step by step, by little bits of wills, little denials of self, little inward victories, by faithfulness in very little things. They became what they are. No one sees these little hidden steps. They only see the accomplishment, but even so, those small steps were taken. There is no sudden triumph, no spiritual maturity. That is the work of the moment."

~ Amy Carmichael

Wow, Madre! What a great quote! I read Amy Carmichael's "Edges of His Ways" daily devotional, and she's been hitting on some of these same points in recent days. And this quote really summarizes some things I've been working through with my son lately....I'm going to print it off as a bookmark for his Bible.
Lynn
Happily married, mommy to three munchkins

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #274
Thanks, Lynn!  I loved the "little" of this quote.  We sometimes think they don't mean much, but God sees those little choices and makes much of them.

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #275
"We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment."

~ C. S. Lewis, from The Screwtape Letters

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #276
"C.S. Lewis in his second letter to me at Oxford, asked how it was that I, as a product of a materialistic universe, was not at home there. 'Do fish complain of the sea for being wet? Or if they did, would that fact itself not strongly suggest that they had not always been, or would not always be, purely aquatic creatures? Then, if we complain of time and take such joy in the seemingly timeless moment, what does that suggest? It suggests that we have not always been or will not always be purely temporal creatures. It suggests that we were created for eternity.

Not only are we harried by time, we seem unable, despite a thousand generations, even to get used to it. We are always amazed by it--how fast it goes, how slowly it goes, how much of it is gone. Where, we cry, has the time gone? We aren't adapted to it, not at home in it. If that is so, it may appear as a proof, or at least a powerful suggestion, that eternity exists and is our home."

~Sheldon Vanauken,  A Severe Mercy: A Story of Faith, Tragedy and Triumph

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #277
"God has one destined end for mankind - holiness! His one aim is the production of saints. God is not an eternal blessing-machine for men. He did not come to save men out of pity. He came to save men because He had created them to be holy."

~ Oswald Chambers

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #278
"Only one in a thousand sits down in the midst of it all and says---I will watch my Father mend this. God must not be treated as a hospital for our broken "toys", but as our Father."

~ Oswald Chambers

• Madre
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Premium Member
Reply #279
"If we obey God it is going to cost other people more than it costs us, and that is where the sting comes in. If we are in love with our Lord, obedience does not cost us anything, it is a delight, but it costs those who do not love Him a good deal."

~ Oswald Chambers

System: Linux loki.coreisp.net 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64
Server Load: 0.0575
Script Memory Usage: 6.59MB
Script CPU Time (user/system): 0.108983 / 0.005999
Browser ID: elkarte (possibly_robot)
Templates: 3: index (cmoms), Display (default), GenericMessages (default).
Sub templates: 9: html_above, body_above, pages_and_buttons_above, messages_informations_above, messages, messages_informations_below, pages_and_buttons_below, body_below, html_below.
Language files: 1: index+Addons.english (cmoms).
Style sheets: 5: index.css(cmoms), font-awesome.min.css(default), _light/index_light.css(cmoms), prettify.css(cmoms), jquery.atwho.css(cmoms).
Scripts: 12: sha256.js(default), elk_jquery_embed.js(default), prettify.min.js(default), elk_jquery_plugins.js(default), script.js(default), script_elk.js(default), theme.js(cmoms), spellcheck.js(default), jquery.atwho.js(default), jquery.caret.min.js(default), mentioning.js(default), topic.js(default).
Hooks called: 119 (show)
Files included: 50 - 899KB. (show)
Tokens: post-login.
Cache hits: 21: 0.00135s for 56,248 bytes (show)
Queries used: 20.
[Show Queries]